Saturday, June 13, 2009

Miss Universe entrant says will do Vietnam proud

Vietnamese supermodel Vo Hoang Yen will officially represent the country at Miss Universe 2009 on Paradise Island, Bahamas this August following the approval of the Performance Art Agency.

In a recent interview with Thanh Nien, Yen said she is well-prepared.

Standing 179 centimeters tall and measuring 90-62-92, the 21-year-old model with a milky complexion and Western features will have two months to get fine-tuned before showing up at Paradise Island on August 1.

I feel so proud, so happy and excited. Representing Vietnam is more important to me than anything,” said Yen.

It is really a great honor, and I will try my best to do my country proud.

Hoang Yen said she has been preparing for the pageant since the day she received an invitation to attend Miss Universe 2009 from Hoan Vu Joint Stock Company, the unit directly in charge of selecting the Vietnamese contestants.

Yen added she is now taking courses on English to improve international communication skills, knowledge of culture and tourism as well as doing a training program at John Robert Powers modeling agency.

Ines Ligron, national director of Miss Universe Japan who won the pageant in 2007, said in her blog that Miss Vietnam is among the best candidates for this year’s title.

Vo Hoang Yen is very special but she needs to try to become finer. I have seen many photos of her. She looks like a beautiful Miss Tiffany to me sometimes,” Ligron added.

Hoang Yen is a beautiful girl but she has to quickly build her own style. I wish her the best because I expect success for Asian girls."

When asked in the interview about Ligron’s comments, Hoang Yen said they were correct and frank.

There are some photos of me on the Internet in which I was captured at angles that make me look quite solid. I will learn from them,” said Yen.

I’ll try to develop my image as a supermodel, but not be so cold. I’ll smile more and be more cheerful,” she said about Ligron’s suggestion.

When asked if Yen intends to “retouch” herself as many former contestants won the pageant thanks to cosmetic surgery, Yen said she would like to retain what she has and bring to the world the true Vietnamese beauty.

Vo Hoang Yen was in the top ten of Miss Vietnam Photo 2006, won the gold prize in Vietnam Supermodel 2008 and was first runner-up in Miss Universe Vietnam 2008.

In related news, Diem Ly – the Deputy Marketing Director of Hoan Vu Joint Stock Company said Duong Truong Thien Ly – the second runner-up of Miss Universe Vietnam 2008 pageant and representative of Vietnam at the Miss World 2008 – would be the company’s National Director to guide Yen in the upcoming contest.

Reported by Hanh Nhi

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: